The Magic of Pandaren
January 1, 2021
If you could have a superpower, what would it be? Strength, the ability to fly, invisibility?
The desire to be special lies in all of us, whether that’s wanting power, success, or standing out in some way. For me, I struggle with being average. I’m average height, average hair color, average eye color, average foot size. You get my drift. But what makes someone special? I’m sure there is an entire psychology course out there dealing with this. The desire to be “more” is why I fell in love with stories like Harry Potter, Star Wars, even X-Men, where you can be a wizard, strong with the force, or have mutant powers.
In my book, Chasing the Darkness, I created Pandaren, a world where people, called Spectrals, have magic. There are ten types, but Spectrals are born with only one.
- Amplifiers (Amps for short) have increased speed and strength
- Fires have a specific color but need a source
- Earths manipulates the earth under them
- Waters control water but need a source
- Airs can influence the air around them
(Only one Spectral has manipulated all four Elements.)
- Healers increase the body’s natural healing process
- Shields create a shield to protect
- Trackers sense if a person has magic and what kind
- Vaulters travel through space in seconds
- Psyches move objects with their minds
I would love to hear from you. What kind of Spectral magic would you want and why?